- Can of Eagle BRAND sweetened condensed milk or equivalent
- Fill a pan of water and heat to a simmer.
- Lower your can(s) into the simmering water. Ensure the water level is above the cans and stays above the top of the can(s). Failure to do so could result in a dangerous and messy can explosion.
- Simmer the can(s) for 3 hours.
- Remove can(s) and let cool.
- After (and only after) the cans are cool open and enjoy the creamy caramel sauce on ice cream or in dessert recipes.
Caramel Sauces from Sweetened Condensed Milk
I originally saw this method on Pinterst and thought this is absolutely insane! I would never have dreamed of putting a sealed can of sweetened condensed milk in a boiling or simmering pot of water. Not only did it sound dangerous but another thing I questioned was; why would this create a caramel sauce? So I did my due diligence and found several reputable sources that also gave instructions for doing this very thing.
Other sources I found make caramel with condensed milk include:
All Recipes – Caramel Sauce from Sweetened Condensed Milk
You Tube Video – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjwidycuSdk
Here’s how it all starts:
Next, remove the labels and Simmer completely submerged for 3 hours:
After the 3 hours of simmering, let the cans cool completely then open :
Scoop out your newly made caramel sauce and enjoy:
Here’s the delicious finally: